Saturday, July 30, 2011

Thinking Outside of the Box

It was a long week.  I did a cake (which really was 4 small cakes for one person), baked bread, baked and decorated 2 different batches of cupcakes, tried out 5 new recipes, cleaned house and worked on an upcoming project/event.  I'd share all the details about the event, but there are prying eyes on this blog (yes, Chris.....I'm talking about you!) and I don't want to ruin the fun.  So, I'll share some other things with you instead.
I finally did it!  I stepped way outside the box, especially for me.  I've been wanting to try a new combo of flavors, be it with cupcakes or cakes and fillings.  I'm tired of making all of the same things everyone else does, but I'll be the first to admit, I'M A CHICKEN!!!  I don't like change.  I don't like new things.  The tried and true always works for me.  But really, what fun is that?  Coloring inside the lines, makes for a rather boring picture, don't you think?  So, here's my new cupcake and icing combo..............
You probably guessed right away, huh?  Chocolate and Mint???  NO!  That isn't outside of the box.  It's dark chocolate cupcakes alright, but it's what's on top that makes this different.  It's a Creamy Avocado Icing.  I know this won't sound so appealing and my first thought was "gross".  But it turns out to be pretty tasty.  After the initial shock of avocado-green coloring, you bite into it and it's surprisingly refreshing.  The avocado balances out the sweetness of the buttercream and there's only a light hint of the avocado flavor.  Wonderful and a definite must try, if you're looking for something new.
Being that I love photographing everything I make, I've been looking at all the clearance isles, trying to find new and interesting plates, bowls, glasses, etc, that will look good thru the camera lens.  It's been a fun process and I'm getting quite a collection going.  I have a strict "nothing over $3" rule for myself, that way I don't invest a lot of money in another collection.  I thought a good place to check out would be Goodwill.  We pull into the parking lot today and the place is packed!!  I mean, like Christmas-shopping-time-of-year, packed!  What in the world was going on?  I know the economy has tanked, but I didn't think that it was quite this bad.  We finally find a parking spot and go inside....It was crazy!!  I did manage to find 3 bowls and a little plate that I loved and when we finally managed to weave our way up to a register, the cashier rings everything up at half price!  No wonder so many people were there.  We left, spending a whopping $1.82.  I think we might have to take out a loan on that, but my new plates are so worth it.  :-)  Just out of curiosity, why does Goodwill need to have a 50% off sale???  It's GOODWIL!!!!  Aren't they cheap already???
We made the trek out to IKEA today.  Why does it have to be so far from our house?  While we love it for certain items, going out there once a year is about all we do anymore.  Found a couple more plates and a towel rack for the bathroom.  I've got so many home projects I want to do, but never the time do any of them.  The bathroom is just one of many thoughts.  I also want to put up cabinets in our laundry room.  Any volunteers for that one?  I've just got to find the cabinets I want.  Uuhhhhgggg!  I don't want to think about it any more and we haven't even started it yet.
Tonight we tried 3 new recipes. Lean steak in a Red Wine Reduction sauce, Roasted Lemon Garlic Green Beans and Smashed Cauliflower.  Talk about a great taste sensation!  So incredibly healthy and tasty!!  The Red Wine Reduction was a perfect blend to the steak.  The green beans were fresh (another Bountiful Basket  day) and the Smashed cauliflower had a bit of a horseradish taste (even though there was no horseradish in it.)to it with a mashed potato like texture.
I'll post the recipes in a separate post.
Off to do another cake for tomorrow.  It's a fun one and another great flavor combo.  Chocolate-Peanut Butter Cup.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment