Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Shower Curtain - DONE!!!!

First off, I have to give myself a pat on the back.  I am so excited that I could make my own shower curtain, exactly how I wanted it!  With my new machine up and running (there was no manual for the machine that I got, so I really had to study it, to even figure out how to thread the thing!), I wasn't sure I was going to remember how to sew anything.  But, I found that it's sort of like riding a bike.......You know what you know.
While I do remember the Sewing 101 basics, I have to say, that I'm not sure I ever knew how to sew an exact straight line.  Working on a project as long and as wide as a shower curtain, makes it difficult to be perfect.  But, it's close enough for me and I don't think anyone will notice my imperfections.  I am also thrilled that I sewed two panels together and you can't even see the seam, unless you're planning to make a study out of my shower curtain!  (If this is the case, don't come to my house and use my guest bathroom!)  Here's my first sewing project in 24+ years!
Red & White Striped Shower Curtain
I really do love this shower curtain and it turned out exactly as I pictured it in my head.  Now that this one piece of the project is complete, I can't wait to finish off the bathroom.  I'm working on a rope shelf that will go over the toilet and hope to have that finished before Chris gets home from Maryland.  Painting and sanding all takes work.  Who knew???
Finally finished my shabby-chic picture frame as well.  Some scrap wood, paint, material, burlap, printer, a starfish, and some rope.  Ties all in together to make this beach wall decor:
Beach Wall Decor
Evidently, I am moving too fast and something needed to slow me down.  I picked up some paint that was sitting in an old plastic tupperware container and was headed out to the garage to put on a final coat, on my shelving project......The rim of the tupperware broke off in the kitchen and paint went EVERYWHERE!!!!  I'm talking on the kitchen table, chairs, walls, grout and tile and on the kitchen cabinets!  Talk about mass panic.  I knew that time was not on my side and I needed to get all the wet paint up before it started to soak into things.  And, of course, the dogs weren't going to cooperate, by staying away.  I had to call the neighbors to come get them (John and Lori - Thank you!), while I frantically tried to mop, scrub and rinse all at the same time.  I was okay with getting the paint off of the tile and grout, but when it came to getting it off the furniture and cabinets, I was having a tough time.  I tried water and soap and that just made a circular mess.  Then I tried some goof-off.  Still nothing and I seemed to be spreading paint around farther.  (I'm not sure how much farther I could have spread it.  It was already all over the place)  Finally called my neighbor and she sent her husband down.  Did you know that you can get paint off wood with pledge and a scrubber?  I didn't.  Works pretty well and now our house has a pledge-y smell to it.  We are so lucky to have neighbors willing to help out so quickly.  I don't know what I would have done without the help.  It took almost 2 hours to clean up that mess, but I learned something about pledge that I didn't know.  Thanks for the lesson and help, Carpet Guy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word... I would have completely panicked, glad you have such nice neighbors! And the shower curtain looks great, congrats!

    ReplyDelete