Sunday, August 21, 2011

Armed & Dangerous!

I am beyond dangerous now......I'm armed AND dangerous!  I bought a sewing machine off Craigslist today.  Now granted, it was cheap, has no manual and will only do a couple of stitches, but that's really all that matters at the moment.  I'm just happy that I can actually sew things together with a running machine!!!  It has been years since I have put my skills on a machine to work.  I hope I can still remember the basics.  If I do, be on the lookout for an array of new decor for the house!  I'm going to start off with my shower curtain.  How difficult can that be.  Press and sew the ends under, sew down the middle, press and sew the top for the rod.  Seems like I've got it all worked out in my head perfectly......Now to translate this into the actual shower curtain....!

Here's the other project that I started and actually finished.
W-I-N-E out of Corks
I did this with wine corks that I've been saving for over 10 years.  Not ever sure what I was going to do with all of the corks, but now I know why I kept them.  This took me all of 10 hours to do.  It may look easy, but it's a lot like a puzzle, that involves a lot of cutting!  The first letter I did was 'I'.  Easy enough, right?  It took me 10 minutes at max!  Then I started in on the 'W'!  Ridiculous!!!!  But, I love how it looks.  When I have more spare time, I think I'll do the word 'bar' to go with this.
This project doesn't require much, but patience.  Here's some basic instructions:

Cork Letters

You'll need the following items:

MPI Wood Letters of your choosing  (you can find this at your local craft store.  I got these at Hobby Lobby for $1.20ea, on sale.)
Wine corks (new or used)
Hot Glue Gun
Xacto Knife (not shown)

Cut corks and arrange on lettering.  When cutting cork, be sure to save all pieces, as you can use the little pieces to fill in any gaps you might have.  It's best to cut and arrange your corks first, before gluing onto board, so that you can see what might work or not work.  Also, when cutting corks, remember that you want all different sizes and thickness of the corks.  Don't cut everything the exact same size and it will give the letters added dimension.  When you've got your corks arranged, glue each piece with a thin line of hot glue, using pressure to make sure it adhears to your MPI Wood.  There are no right or wrong ways to do this.  If you have a cork that sticks over the edge a bit, that's fine.  I doesn't have to be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment