Friday, July 22, 2011

We're Officially 2' 6" in the Air.

It seems like all I think about or talk about these days is mattresses.  I'm getting tired of it, so this could be the last post on this issue for a while.  (I'm say it 'could' be, as one never knows when I'll go on some tirade over this again.)  As per my post yesterday, the NASA foam and foundation had arrived.  Chris didn't get home until late, so we didn't even start working on getting it out of the packaging until after 9:30pm.  But before we did that, we had to take pictures of our old mattress and frame, to send to Kingsdown.  Supposedly, if your mattress starts sagging after a couple of years, you should be able to re-coup some of the money that you lost or get a new bed.  Not sure why I would want a bed, from the same manufacturer, but it's worth a shot.  Maybe a new guest bed would be nice.  So, upon taking pictures with a disposable camera (wasn't even sure how to use such a thing), we disassembled our bed and managed to inhale a good amount of dust bunnies in the process.  WOW!  Arizona is dusty.  Doesn't matter if you're inside or out.  Dust accumulates EVERYWHERE!  Our bed frame is huge and not easily moved, so we don't get around to vacuuming under there too often.  Our carpets are a light tan color.  Under the bed, they are a light grey color.  It was gross and a tad bit embarrassing.  Once all of the pictures we taken, dust and all, Chris moved dragged out the box springs and mattress.  I couldn't help him because my back is already close to being broken, so it was interesting to watch as the bed went wobbling down the hall.  Once that task was done, then we started to unload the foundation.  People, this thing looked like it came from IKEA!  It was made out of cheap pine and didn't have enough screws to hold even half of it together.  So, at 10pm last night, Chris had to make a run to WallyWorld to get wood screws.  18 extra screws later and all of the cracked stabilizer boards later, we had the foundation done.  This was not worth the money we spent on it, but being that it would cost us more than it was worth to ship it back, we ignored the cracks and cheapness of the foundation.  We  Chris managed to get this into the bedroom and got it into our existing bed frame.  (We're moving along, folks!)  Now came the lug of a foam mattress.  Since it was vacuumed packed and sealed in 5 layers of the thickest plastic known to man, we had to open this once it was on the foundation/frame. As we started pealing off the plastic, I noticed this tag:
Hmmmmm...........am I missing something here?  Does everyone (obviously, aside from us) have forklift in their garage?  I haven't noticed any, when I walk/drive by the neighbors houses and they have their garage doors open.  Maybe it wasn't something I was looking for, but I think I would have noticed something of this size in a garage.  So, what exactly does this tag mean?  Are they suggesting that the ONLY proper way to move this is with a forklift?  Is this little sticker, what prevents them from being sued, when someone throws out their backs, breaks a leg or injures someone else, while moving these beasts of foam?  It's a good thing we got this in the room without any major damage to anyone Chris!
After cutting off about 5 layers of the thickest plastic known to man, the vacuumed packaged bed starts to expand.  On the limited instructions, that are hidden inside of 2 layers of plastic wrap, it tells you that it could take several hours to expand to normal size.  It's now almost 11:30 and I'm in no mood to wait several hours. Luckily, as soon as we cut the tie straps, the mattress expanded right away.  These is NO WAY in the world, we could even consider getting this back to the manufacturer, if something was wrong with this bed.  After this experience, I've figured out this is quite a good racket these "foam" mattress companies have going on.  No wonder they can charge astrological prices for these things.  It's impossible for ANYONE to return these suckers.  A person would be better off just selling their vehicles and investing in a new mattress, than try to even move this thing out of their bedroom.  I have yet to find a person that dared try to return one of these!  Now I know why.
Climbing into bed, just before midnight, was a chore in itself.  We're getting very close to the ceiling and I'm not sure that adding more height would have been a good idea.  (Nose bleeds could ensue and then we'd probably get a stain, which would void any and all warranties.)  We're about half of my height off the floor (2'6" to be exact.), which makes for an interesting procedure to get into bed.  I sort of have to throw myself up top and hope that I make it somewhere on the bed vs. thudding on the floor.  All in all, I slept pretty good. Firm, but not too firm. (Just like little Red Riding Hood's adventure in bed comfort.) Chris said he found it hard to move around/roll over, but that he was comfortable.  We'll see how it goes over the next week.  Wish us luck and if you haven't heard from me in a few days, you might want to call and see if I'm stuck in the memory foam somewhere and can't get up.

No comments:

Post a Comment