Sunday, October 9, 2011

DIY - Mason Jar Soap Dispensers

Mason Jar Soap Dispensers
I love these Soap Dispensers!  I've seen them everywhere and since I'm in the redecorating mode, I decided to try my hand at these and make them for our Guest Bathroom.  After reading several tutorials, I knew that this wouldn't be too hard, but wasn't sure how readily, soap dispenser pump replacements would be to find.  Turns out you can get them at any hardware store and they're relatively inexpensive.  I think the whole total for this project cost me $7 for both dispensers.  (The spray paint might cost you extra, but I happened to have some around, so that wasn't an out of pocket expense)  I love the painted look of these little guys, but painting them is just an option.  They look great without the paint as well.

Here's what you need:
DIY - Mason Jar Soap Dispenser
1. Mason Jar
2. Soap Dispenser Pump
3. Spray Paint (Optional - You can leave them just the way they are)
4. Hamer
5. Screwdriver or Large Nail
6. Needle Nose Pliers
7. Hot Glue Gun (not pictured)

Take your Mason Jar lid and with your hammer and screwdriver, make a whole in the very center of your lid. With the Needle Nose Pliers, grasp the metal and pull back on it just a bit, to make the opening large enough for your pump.  Be sure to not pull back too far or you'll get too big of an opening.  You want the pump to fit in the whole snugly.
If you're planning on painting your jar, spray a couple of coats on it now.  For the lid, you can either leave it as is and buy a pump to match or you can use metallic paint (I used an oil rubbed bronze spray paint) to paint your lid and rim.
Once your jar and lid are dry, insert your pump into the top part of the lid.  Using a dab of hot glue, glue the pump onto the lid.  Be sure to wipe off any excess glue.
Fill jar with liquid soap and you are good to go.  Such an easy project and it really takes only the drying time and about 5 minutes to get a beautiful, re-usable soap dispenser.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha... Well guess what I've had on my to-do list for a while now :) what can I say, we obviously have a bit of the same good taste! Accept I'm not painting the jar, just the lid and pump- our bathroom has Old blue mason jars in it already along with lots of old stuff so when I saw this idea I thought theyd be a good change from my current soap dispenser which my husband always gripes about :) and that oil rubbed bronze paint is the best isn't it!!! Ahhh I'm addicted to it.

    ReplyDelete