Thursday, September 29, 2011

Baby Onesies

I went to California earlier this week.  It was time to get my hair done (yes, I travel to Cali and use the same hair stylist I've used for over 17 years!) and I got to meet my cousin's little girl, Sienna, for the first time.  
What do you get a 5 month old??  I didn't want to go empty handed to Kelli's (my cousin) house, so instead of running out to buy baby clothes, I got the brilliant idea that I'd make a couple of baby onesies.  I mean, how hard could that be, right?  After much research, I decided on several ideas, but putting them into clothes, is not something I do often.  (I don't even own a onesies and I'm almost 43!).  
First idea.....Let's tie-dye/dip a couple of outfits.  How cute would that be?  Well, of course it would be cute.  But good grief!!!  Any idea how long that takes?  First I dipped half of the onesie, then I had to let another 1/3 of it really soak in the dye.  Once that was finished, I had to let the material air dry out, so as to let the dye really soak in and not fade. The next step is to rinse.  Let air dry again.  Rinse.  Air dry and iron.  After a day and a half, I was ready to make a onesie.  (Oh, and by the time these were done rinsing, drying, repeating, etc, it was less than 16 hours before my plane left.)  
Luckily for me, while the process of dying was going on, I had made a couple of different fabric flowers, printed out a couple of words and was almost ready to get to work.  I ironed my newly dyed clothes and started out sewing on flowers, painting on fabric and ironing on appliques.  I actually made some really cute baby clothes.  And, what's great about them is you can't find them in any store. :-)  Hope you enjoy them, Sienna.  I really did have fun making them, even if it would have been cheaper and easier to get them at Hermes!
Just love this Monkey!

Handmade fabric flower with glitter fabric paint

Fabric Flower with Metallic Silver fabric paint

1 comment:

  1. Cutest baby clothes ever!! Sienna is going to be the best dressed baby on the block ;) Thanks auntie Donelle! xo

    ReplyDelete