Thursday, September 15, 2011

DIY - Silver Cleaning

A few years ago, I was in some desperate need of cleaning some of my Sterling Silver jewelry.  I had run out of silver cleaning polish and really didn't feel like buying more, as it was kind of pricey.  So I went out looking for a way to do it myself, with stuff from home.  I cam across this great trick to clean my silver, with things I already have in my house  Here ya go, Deanne.  Put away the smelly Rhubarb!!  :-)

Silver Cleaning

What You'll Need:

Bowl/Baking Dish
Aluminum Foil
Salt
Liquid Dish Soap
Warm Water

This is all about magnetizing the tarnish away.  Just line the bottom of a bowl baking dish with a sheet of aluminum foil and fill the bowl with warm water.  Add a generous amount of salt (if using a bowl, add about 3-4 Tablespoons) and a little squirt of liquid dish soap.  Place the tarnished flatware/*jewelry or other silver in bowl/dish and watch the tarnish begin to disappear.  The natural chemical reaction actually magnetizes the tarnish right off, and you won't have to do any buffing!  Remove your silver items and wipe clean with a soft rag and there you go!
* This is only for Flatware, Sterling Silver and Silver Plated items.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you've been busy!! Love all your latest finds and decorating :) mom and dad were here and then convention so I haven't been on the computer in a few weeks! Ahhh Ive always wanted to go to Greece... Maybe someday we'll take a trip there too.

    ReplyDelete